Saturday, February 14, 2009

My first practice "Mini Tri"

I've been training a while with Team in Training, but this was the first time we would be putting it all together - 10 min swim, 30 min bike, and 30 min run... this is how it went...

This morning, I slept in a bit, and I had this dream about the Mini Tri... I forgot my Bathing Suit...So, I had to swim in my running bra, and tri-shorts... what a sight! Then, I couldn't find my cycling shoes, and had to dig through my car for them - and when I say dig, I mean, tearing the seats apart down to the bottom to get to them... then, well, let's just say everything went wrong, then I woke up... yeah, I guess I'm having a bit of anxiety - and this is just practice

The day started with a nice breakfast with our Team in Training Honored Heroes..


This is Laura, she lost a 5 year old daughter to Leukemia shortly after she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. She’s been in remission for about a year… she’s going in for more tests next week… in the meantime, she has realized her life long dream of being an EMT.

This is Jacy, she’s the honored hero for our team. She’s a Leukemia survivor as she just celebrated 5 years of remission. She has done a kids triathlon, and she loves to play Softball… last season, she hit 5 home runs!

This is Jenny, a Leukemia Survivor… her 13 year old brother was her bone marrow donor… he doesn’t remember it much, as he was MUCH younger at the time.

The baby in this picture has Leukemia, his older brother (who NEVER poses for pictures – but we got him this time) was his bone marrow donor in November.

It was cool to meet the people that are benefiting from the money that we are raising…I am making a difference in these people’s lives, and I wish them all the best.


Then we went out to do a bike clinic, we learned how to change a tire, and we each got to practice, so that was good. Then....


We go to the group swim... first we warmed up a few laps, then the coach had us all in one lane - it was a wider than normal lane, but with 9-10 swimmers, we all got kicked, and ran into... but I survived the 10 minute swim... all the ladies got to go to the locker room to change... it was VERY challenging trying to put a bra and tri-shorts on a wet body... good thing we won't do that for the race... so, I get all dressed, and left my bathing suit in the locker room (I guess my dream was prophetic) So, one of the girls picked it up for me (Thanks Florence!) Then, we go outside and get on our biking shoes, etc... and go for the bike ride...


I decided I like riding... I got sooooooo into riding, I forgot one of the turns... DUH...(glad I heard team mates yelling to me) so I had to get off of my bike, and walk it back across the street to resume riding ... and if that was the only thing that went wrong it would have been fine... I'm almost back in, and I get a flat tire! So, I continued to SLOWLY ride it in, but I was the LAST one back in transition...


Now comes the run... I get my bike shoes off, one glove off, I have one shoe on... and the coach is yelling at me to go Then he goes, oh, you only have one shoe on... so I get my other shoe on, get my other glove off... and he's saying GO... NOOOOOO I still had my helmet on - hehehehe He thought he would catch me running off with my helmet on... haha.. I remembered!

So, I start to run... slowly! 7 minutes into the run, shin splints! GAH... I walked for the next 15 minutes or so, and ran it in... did 2 miles in 30 min... I was the last one back in....


Then I came home, and I'm TRYING to change my tire... still haven't gotten that darn thing off of the wheel grrrrrrrrrrrr...


At least I got the disaster over with... next time it'll go better??? I can only hope!!!







No comments: